Search This Blog

Saturday, December 19, 2020

Advent Week IV


 Jesus Shall Be Born

  

He is Coming!  He is Coming!
The Promised One of God,
Our heart's desire, our longing, and yearning.

During this last week of Advent we cry out for the birth of Jesus! We know that with Jesus our life is very different.  With his birth we are saved, healed and made whole once again.

Today we too offer our own flesh for the gifting to the world of
Emmanuel, God with us. And with Mary we say YES with her prayer.

“I, the servant of God;
let it be with me according to your word.”
  
Reading (Lectio)
Luke 1:26-38

Read the following Scripture two or three times.

The angel Gabriel was sent from God to a town of Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the house of David, and the virgin’s name was Mary. And coming to her, he said, 

“Hail, full of grace!
The Lord is with you.”

But she was greatly troubled at what was said and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. Then the angel said to her,

“Do not be afraid, Mary,
for you have found favor with God.
Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son,
and you shall name him Jesus.
Her will be great and will be called Son of the Most High,
and the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father,
and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever,
and his kingdom there will be no end.”

But Mary said to the angel, 

“How can this be since I have not relations with a man?”

And the angel said to her in reply, 

“The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.
therefore the child to be born will be called holy,
the Son of God.
And behold, Elizabeth, your relative,
has also conceived a son in her old age,
and this is the sixth month for her who was called barren;
for nothing will be impossible for God.”

Mary said, 

“Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.
may it be done to me according to your word.”

Then the angel departed from her. 

Meditation (Meditatio)

After the reading, take some time to reflect in silence on one or more of the following questions:
  • What word or words in this passage caught your attention?
  • What in this passage comforted you?
  • What in this passage challenged you?

Prayer (Oratio)
 
Read the Scripture Passage one more time. Offer a prayer of praise, petition or thanksgiving that this Advent Word inspires in you.
 

Contemplation (Contemplatio)

Read the Scripture again, followed by this reflection:

What conversion of mind, heart, and life is the Lord asking of me?

Do not be afraid. 
What fears keep you from living according to God’s Will? 
How can your faith help you to overcome those fears?

You have found favor with God. 
When have you felt God’s favor in your life? 
How have you responded to this favor?

Therefore the child to be born will be called holy.
How do you acknowledge God’s holiness?
How do you live your Christ call to holiness?

 
Closing Prayer

The promises of the LORD I will sing forever;
through all generations my mouth shall proclaim God’s faithfulness.
For God has said, “My kindness is established forever”;
in heaven you have confirmed your faithfulness.

"I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
I have sworn to David my servant:
Forever will I confirm your posterity
and establish your throne for all generations.”

“He shall say of me, ‘You are my father, my God, my Savior.’
Forever I will maintain my kindness toward him,
and my covenant with him stand firm.”                       

 (From Psalm 89)

 Listen To Mary’s Hymn of Praise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7RBIUDf2gU


Light the Candle of Love for the Fourth Week of Advent
The Promised Gift of God, Emmanuel, is coming!

 Yes, Lord Jesus, Come!
Be born in me,
Be born in us!



No comments:

Post a Comment