Search This Blog

Saturday, December 5, 2020

Advent Week II – Cry Out!

 Cry Out In The Wilderness


A Voice in the Wilderness

John the Baptist, the Herald of Jesus’ Coming appears this week as “A voice of one crying out in the desert, prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.” During this Second Week of Advent we ask ourselves: What are our desert places, the place of solitude where God speaks to our heart? What is the pathway, the ‘going away from and going towards’ we are being called to?  Advent is a time of pregnant new life waiting to be born in and through us.  The rough places in our lives need to be soften so that Jesus takes on flesh in us and in our world.

Reading (Lectio)

Read the following Scripture two or three times. Mark 1:1-8 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ the Son of God. As it is written in Isaiah the prophet: Behold, I am sending my messenger ahead of you; he will prepare your way. A voice of one crying out in the desert: “Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths.” John the Baptist appeared in the desert proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. People of the whole Judean countryside and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem were going out to him and were being baptized by him in the Jordan River as they acknowledged their sins. John was clothed in camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist. He fed on locusts and wild honey. And this is what he proclaimed: “One mightier than I is coming after me. I am not worthy to stoop and loosen the thongs of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.” 

Meditation (Meditatio)

After the reading, take some time to reflect in silence on one or more of the following questions:
• What word or words in this passage caught your attention?
• What in this passage comforted you?
• What in this passage challenged you? 

Contemplation (Contemplatio)

Read the Scripture again, followed by this reflection
What conversion of mind, heart, and life is the Lord asking of me? 

Prepare the way of the Lord.
How am I preparing my heart for the coming of Christ at Christmas? 
How can I help bring the Lord to the people that I meet? 
Make straight his paths. What things block my path for following Christ? 
How have I been an obstacle in others’ paths? 

[People] were being baptized by him in the Jordan River 
as they acknowledged their sins.
What sins go unacknowledged in my life? 
How can I avoid the sins that take me away from God? 

Closing Prayer

I will hear what God proclaims; the LORD—for he proclaims peace to his people. Near indeed is his salvation to those who fear him, glory dwelling in our land. Kindness and truth shall meet; justice and peace shall kiss. Truth shall spring out of the earth, and justice shall look down from heaven. The LORD himself will give his benefits; our land shall yield its increase. Justice shall walk before him, and prepare the way of his steps. (From Psalm 85)

Listen To the Advent Hymn
O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
 




Light the second candle of your Advent Wreathe and ‘cry out’
in prayer to our God… Send us the Promised One… 
Prince of Peace and Son of Justice and Truth

No comments:

Post a Comment