Thursday, October 30, 2014
Thursday, October 2, 2014
- The World's Children at Risk - Operation Cross Country VIII, the eighth enforcement action taking place in several US cities by a task force comprising of FBI field divisions and local law enforcement.
- The Tahirih Justice Center, in testifying before the U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee, calls for funding and a humanitarian response to the children currently crossing the southern border.
- Online Epidemic Against Children - "Sextortion" is the online enticement of children which has no boundaries. Read about what is being done.
- New Screening Tool to Identify Trafficked Persons - a 30-topic questionnaire, created by the Vera Institute of Justice (Vera), is being used by victim service providers and law enforcement to identify victims.
- 'STOP' App Wins Hackathon Awards - At the 20th Annual Essence Festival in New Orleans, teams created apps that address problems facing the African American community. The STOP app is a valuable tool against sex trafficking.
- Brazil: Smartphones Target Violence Against Women and Girls - Free app provides information and help to victims of violence against women. It includes a button to a 24-hour women's hotline.
- Educational Materials for Teachers and Students - three-lesson curriculum for children to learn about child labor.
- Texas Tasks Force Aids Educators -Manual for teachers and other education professionals, who will be facing potential victims, so they can recognize and understand human trafficking.
- Franciscan Federation and Sisters of Charity respond to the evils of human trafficking.
- ATEST (Alliance to End Slavery and Trafficking) oppose amendments to the "Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008".
- Pornography Fuels Demand by Men and Violence toward Women - "A growing number of experts are concerned with the way the entire country has accepted, and even embraced, pornography’s cultural infiltration."
- Study: Commercial Impact of Underground Sexual Exploitation in Eight U.S. Cities
- Demanding Justice for Minors - report identifies strategies to deter the demand for commercial sex.
- Recommendations from IMAGES (International Men and Gender Equality Survey) study identifies the influences in boys' lives that increase the likelihood of sexually violent behavior and how to counter those influences.
- What You Can Do About Porn
- Thank 'Google' for New Efforts to Protect Children - Google implements a "policy change that prohibits porno- graphic ads and ads directly linking to sexually explicit websites. "More work needs to be done.
- Romanian filmmaker produces 'Cutting Edge: The Child Sex Trade' exposing "how underage boys are preyed upon and trafficked to wealthy pedophile clients in the West."
- New Educational Video on Human Trafficking produced by The Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI)
- Survivors of Slavery: Modern-Day Slave Narratives - by author Laura Murphy
- Study/Action Modules - The U.S. Catholic Sisters Against Human Trafficking (USCSAHT) Social Analysis Work Group is offering five newly-updated study/action modules available online.
- 'Facing the Monster: How One Person Can Fight Child Slavery' - one day symposium October 18th in Pennsylvania.
- Land of Missing Children: The Rape Trade - 23-minute documentary about how teenage girls in India are trafficked.