Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

God’s Mercy Runs and Embraces Us


While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him,
and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him.
LK. 15:20
        
         God’s Mercy Runs and Embraces Us

In a recent Pastoral Letter, Cardinal Sean O’Malley of Boston writes, “Our repentance often walks along slowly, but God’s mercy runs to meet us”.  I love this image of God RUNNING towards me and might I add, EMBRACING me.  Running towards me just as I am right now in this moment and embracing me in all the fullness and messiness of my life.

The pastoral recommends seven actions that each of us can practice during this Jubilee Year of Mercy.

1.    Read about God’s mercy
2.    Receive God’s mercy in the Sacrament of Reconciliation
3.    Grant mercy to those who have hurt you
4.    Bring others to receive God’s mercy this year
5.    Make a pilgrimage to the Cathedral, enter through the Holy Door and  receive the Jubilee Indulgence
6.    Practice each of the Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy at least once
7.    Recite the Jubilee of Mercy prayer

This Jubilee Year of Mercy is a powerful reminder that we are also “summoned to change the way we view other sinners and all those in need of mercy. … We are invited to look at them with the eyes of the merciful father and to imitate God’s mercy in our our outreach to them.” 

Read the entire text of Cardinal O’Malley’s Pastoral Letter at:

No comments:

Post a Comment