Search This Blog

Saturday, December 18, 2021

Mary & Elizabeth Advent Week IV

 

He is Coming!  He is Coming! The Promised One of God,
Our hearts’ desire, our longing, and yearning.

During this last week of Advent we cry out for the birth of Jesus!  We know that with Jesus our life is very different.  With his birth we are saved, healed and made whole once again.

Today we too offer our own flesh for the gifting to the world of Emmanuel, God with us. And with Mary we say YES and prayer with her....

 “I am the servant of God;
let it be with me according to your word.”

Reading (Lectio)
Luke 1:39 - 45

Read the following Scripture two or three times. 

Mary set out and traveled to the hill country in haste to a town of Judah, where she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. 

When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting,
the infant leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth,
filled with the Holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said,
“Blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb.
And how does this happen to me,
that the mother of my Lord should come to me? For at the moment the sound of your greeting reached my ears,
the infant in my womb leaped for joy.
Blessed are you who believed
that what was spoken to you by the Lord would be fulfilled.”

Meditation (Meditatio)

After the reading, take some time to reflect in silence on one or more of the following questions:

  • What word or words in this passage caught your attention?
  • What in this passage comforted you?
  • What in this passage challenged you? 

Prayer (Oratio)

Read the Scripture Passage one more time.  Offer a prayer of praise, petition or thanksgiving that this Advent Word inspires in you.

Contemplation (Contemplatio)

Read the Scripture again, followed by this reflection:

What conversion of mind, heart, and life is the Lord
asking of me?
Mary set out and traveled to the hill country in
haste to a town of Judah. When have I approached God in haste? When do I come in haste to the aid of my brothers and sisters?
When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the infant
leaped in her womb. How have I heard God speaking to me? How have I responded to God’s voice?
Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the
fruit of your womb. For what blessings am I most thankful? How have God’s blessings borne fruit in my life?

Closing Prayer

O shepherd of Israel, hearken,
   from your throne upon the cherubim, shine forth. Rouse your power,
and come to save us.

Once again, O LORD of hosts,
   look down from heaven, and see;
take care of this vine,
and protect what your right hand has planted the son of man whom you yourself made strong

May your help be with the man of your right hand,
with the son of man whom you yourself 
made strong.
Then we will no more withdraw from you;
give us new life, and we will call upon your name.
 From Psalm 80

Living the Word This Week

How can I make my life a gift for others in charity?


Listen To Mary’s Hymn of Praise
 


Light the Candle of Love for the Fourth Week of Advent.
The Promised Gift of God, Emmanuel, is coming!


No comments:

Post a Comment