Search This Blog

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Good Shepherd Sunday

Come  Follow  Me
We follow Jesus, the Good Shepherd
Do we recognize His Voice
He offers us life
Do we have His Life in Abundance

Parable of the Good Shepherd
John 10: 1-10

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbs up some other way, he is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is a shepherd of the sheep. To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he puts forth all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers.” This figure of speech Jesus spoke to them, but they did not understand what those things were which He had been saying to them.
So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;
I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

Our Unique Vocation
Jesus continues to call us today to follow Him.  He knows us intimately as a Shepherd knows each of the sheep.  He calls us by name.  He leads us to green, life-giving pastures. He leads us to restful and peaceful waters and He refreshes us.

Washed in the waters of Baptism we have been anointed disciples and followers of Jesus. Today we continue to follow in our Single Life, Married Life, Consecrated Religious Life or Ordained Priesthood. We follow Jesus in the extraordinary events of our day… in this the time of Global Pandemic.

On this Good Shepherd Sunday, let us listen more deeply to His Voice and by our lives, follow in new and creative ways. Along the pathway let us call others to do the same.

Jesus continues to call us by name.
We hear His Voice as He says:
“Love One Another as I Have Loved You”
We follow.

GOD WHO FORMED ME

Your living waters flow within me.
They nourish my love for your Word.
They inspire me to follow your Son and pour out my life for others.
I am ready to further your mission.
Help me find the best way to share my gifts in service to you and all peoples.
Giving you glory is my greatest joy.
In all that I do, may I proclaim your truth and give witness to your love.
I trust that you will be ever present - coursing through me and quenching my thirst for your justice and mercy.
May I forever be worthy of your life-giving call.
Amen.

Prayer: Psalm 23
adapted by Nan Merrill

O my Beloved, you are my shepherd,
I shall not want;
You bring me to green pastures for rest
and lead me beside still waters
renewing my spirit,
You restore my soul.
You lead me in the path of goodness
to follow Love's way.

Even though I walk through the valley
of the shadow and of death,
I am not afraid;
for you are with me forever;
your rod and your staff they guide me,
they give me strength and comfort.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of all my fears;
you bless me with oil, my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me
all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the heart of the Beloved
forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment