Search This Blog

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Transfiguration Lent II

Listen to the Beloved

Mount Tabor  - "the Mount of Transfiguration"

The Transfiguration of Jesus
Matthew 17: 1 - 9

After six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became as light.

And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, conversing with him. Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”

While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud cast a shadow over them, then from the cloud came a voice that said,
“This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.

When the disciples heard this, they fell prostrate and were very much afraid.
Jesus came and touched them, saying, 
"Rise, and do not be afraid.”
And when the disciples raised their eyes, they saw no one else but Jesus alone.

Go up the Mountain, Listen, Be Touched, Rise Up, Become Disciples

We follow Jesus with Peter, James and John up the mountain of transfiguration.  It is good for us too to experience mystical moments with Jesus.  To recognize and listen to the ‘Beloved’ sent by the Father and revealed today in the people, events and circumstances of our lives.  We are called this week to  ‘listen to him’,  be “touched” by him, let go of our fears in his presence, be “transfigured” with him and “rise up”!

This Week we ask ourselves, is this the moment when we rise from the dead?  As community we rise? … family, neighborhood, workplace, nation? If not NOW, then when?  Is this a time to rise up? A time of liberation and transformation? A time that make all things New?

Listening to the Beloved, sends us beyond ourselves to pray, fast, and do good.  As Disciples of Jesus, we go beyond the mountain mystical experience to the ‘cries of the poor’ and touch our world with the non-violent peace-filled presence of God, revealed in Jesus. Together we Rise Up!

Litany of Transfiguration

RLet me see only Jesus
 
When I’m tempted to look at only my faults.  R
When troubled by the specter of doubt and defeat.  R
When I can’t see beyond the frustrations of the moment.  R
When the horizon seems distant and dark.  R
When I can’t see the point of pursuing what’s good. R
When complaining and cynicism invade my peace.  R
When I can’t face my problems.  R
When the world looks bleak.  R
When others measure and judge me.  R
When beset by depression. R
When friendship is far from me. R
When overshadowed by sorrow. R
When it’s hard to forgive. R
When things don’t make sense. R
When I think I can’t change. R
When confronted by suffering. R
When stress gets me down. R
When it’s hard to go on. R
When blinded by sin. R
When the hardness of life overwhelms me. R
When hope begins to fade. R

Fr. Peter John Cameron, O.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment