Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Our Lenten Journey Begins



Ash Wednesday
'Come Back To Me' 

‘Repent and Believe in the Gospel’

Ash Wednesday calls us home once again. Sealed again in ashes with the Cross of Jesus Christ we remember that we are human and not divine. We are weak and tempted; chosen and sent forth. Throughout the 40 Days of Lent we will practice Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving. 
  


Today we are signed with the cross using ashes from the burnt palms of last year’s Palm Sunday.  The Church reminds us of three traditional Lenten practices.


    Fasting      We hunger for our God
   Prayer       Contemplative gaze on Jesus’ Way
   Giving         Sharing our abundance with those in need

We find God’s Promise found in the Book of the Prophet Ezekiel 36:26.

 “For I will take you out of the nations; I will gather you from all the countries and bring you back into your own land.  I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols.  I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. Then you will live in the land I gave your ancestors; you will be my people, and I will be your God.”

Litany for Ash Wednesday

Oh God, we are reminded this day of the fragility of our lives here on the earth.
We are dust and to dust we will return.
It is by your Spirit and your power that we are given life.
You are the source of all hope and life.

We enter now a season of repentance.
That we may turn from selfishness.
We set aside some comforts
That we may turn our attention to Your holiness.
Cast now our transgressions far from us
As far is the east is from the west.

We mourn the profound disconnection from You that happened
at the dawn of humankind.
Bring us back into Your presence.
We rejoice in the perfect work of Christ on earth.
Christ reconciles us to You.

Prepare our hearts, Oh God, for Resurrection life.
You bring beauty from ashes.
Prepare our hearts for the joy of Your coming.
You bring gladness from mourning.
Prepare our hearts for the fullness of Your presence.
You bring forth praise from despair.     Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment