Search This Blog

Monday, March 16, 2015

The Story of a Cluny Vocation

Sister Joan Van der Zyden, SJC
   We have all been aware of and praying for those in West Africa suffering from the Ebola crisis. The num- bers are stagger- ing and as I am writing, Sierra Leone is suffering from the highest increase of cases in a single week in any country since the crisis began. I continue to pray for them and especially for the people of the town of Moyamba who remain quarantined. I remember them in a special way because that is where I became aware that God was calling me to religious life. It was the visit of a missionary priest to our parish that sparked the idea of going overseas in the mind of my best friend, Lorrie! After talking about it, I was ready for the adventure. We wanted to go as ‘lay missionaries’ not as volunteers so we looked for an organization that was connected to the Church. We made inquiries with one religious congregation but they only took women who were interested in religious life. That certainly was not us... 
   
Read on about Sister Joan's journey to Moyamba, Sierra Leone and how her "vocational flame" was awakened:

No comments:

Post a Comment